As an European Football fan, of course as with many other fans around world, I think that both of EPL and La Liga stand out as two of the best football league in the Europe continent (automatically become the best in the world in terms of quality and popularity)
Of course everybody has their own cup of tea of the best. To me La Liga cannot hold a candle to EPL because of those reasons below (please note that I am only another football fan from Asia which do not have a space to research or verify all the things about both of this football leagues, this is just simply an opinion from a common fan)
1. First is simple, the key word is diversity. How many clubs have won the league title over the last 10 years, 20 years? And how many clubs got the 2nd place?
2. I don’t know why but it is always visible that
La Liga clubs have already throw the towel in the first 10 or 20 minutes of the game against either Barcelona or Real Madrid.
3. Half of the season we can easily predict who will compete for the La Liga title, and the rest of the positions become unimportant except for each club’s fans. While in EPL usually there will be 3-4 teams to the cup with 1 or 2 sniffing around. But unlike its counterpart, EPL is also show great competitiveness for Champions League spot, Top 10 place, and surprisingly the relegation battle. Towards the end it is dice that low positioned club can beat top 5 teams because they are fighting for not to be relegated.
4. Can you mention 20 players from other La liga Clubs easily excluding Barca and Madrid? In EPL somehow it’s easy, and yes the comentator and media played a big part in ‘publishing’ players from the clubs that are not even on the Top 10.
5. The level of competition in EPL is very HIGH. Don’t underestimate lower clubs, they can bring nightmare and this happens often (eh, how many times do you hear a lower club beat Barca or Madrid? No it should be a party of goal for both clubs)
6. In EPL most of the games end at 90th minute (regardless of extra time) while in La Liga there are many games I have watched had already stopped de-facto if an opponent has won with 2 or 3 or more goals gap.